RÙFINA: THE HIGHEST CHIANTI
Chianti Rufina is a historic wine producing area, one of the most important in Tuscany, located to the north-east of the city of Florence, on the slopes of the Tuscan-Romagnolo Apennines.
The first historical evidence of wine production in the Rufina area dates back to the early fifteenth century. Official recognition was granted in the eighteenth century by an Edict of the Grand Duke of Tuscany, and Cosimo III, in the announcement of 24 September 1716, classified the wine produced in this area as being among the four best in Tuscany.
The Italian Ministerial Decree of 1932 established the territorial limits of the Chianti wine-producing area for the first time, and defined the various geographical sub-divisions, including Rufina.
The Controlled Designation of Origin (DOC) dates back to 1967 while the Controlled and Guaranteed Designation of Origin (DOCG) was assigned in 1984.
Rufina is the smallest of the seven Chianti sub-regions: it occupies a surface area of 12,483 hectares, 750 of which are registered as being under cultivation; this figure is destined to rise to approximately 1000 hectares, corresponding to a production of 2,700,000 litres, or 3,500,000 bottles per year.
The production area is located about 20 km from Florence and occupies territory in the districts of Pontassieve, Rufina, Londa, Pelago and Dicomano.